ZocdocAnswersI have upper stomach pain, how can I treat it?

Question

I have upper stomach pain, how can I treat it?

I am a 15 year old female. For the past 3 days, i've been having really bad upper abdomen pain( about two inches above the bellybutton ). When I press on it, its really painful. I dont have an appetite, i feel like vomiting when i eat but i don't vomit. I feel hot. And i have gas and burping. Im taking antacid because it relieves the pain but only for a little bit. Also, this had been happening about every 2-3 weeks but this time, its really painful

Answer

Your description of symptoms sounds like it could be gastritis or peptic ulcer disease. It could also be pancreatitis. Please make an appointment with your primary care doctor. Gastritis is inflammation of the stomach lining. It could be caused by excessive alcohol or coffee use. It could also be caused by medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen. It could also be caused by a bacteria called H Pylori. People suffering from gastritis have abdominal discomfort and can also have loss of appetite. If left untreated, gastritis can eventually also cause peptic ulcer disease where there is erosion of the stomach lining. This condition can cause a lot of pain especially with eating foods. If it worsens, there could be a possibility of a perforated peptic ulcer where the erosion goes completely across the stomach lining. This would be a very serious condition because your stomach contents can leak outside and cause a lot of pain and creates an environment for an intra-abdominal infection. Another possibility is pancreatitis which is inflammation of your pancreas. It can cause some abdominal pain and nausea. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor. They can start by doing simple blood tests. They may also consider doing some abdominal imaging. If you have sudden sharp abdominal pains, vomiting, or fever greater than 100.4 degrees, you should go to your local emergency room.