ZocdocAnswersI started out with a cold and then it went away after a week but the cough continue for about a month and half. What could this be?

Question

I started out with a cold and then it went away after a week but the cough continue for about a month and half. What could this be?

I used to smoke but occasionally. I started out with a cold and then it went away after a week but the cough continue for about a month and half. Then this morning I woke up with the left side of my throat sore. I also have chest pains here and there. I don't know what's going on should I be worried?

Answer

This is somewhat of a common concern: a cold comes and goes, but leaves some additional symptoms in its wake. While this can be an inconvenient fact of life, there are other times that the cold either causes other problems that require treatment, or unmasks problems that will need to be treated by a doctor and haven't been noted yet due to normal compensation on the part of the body. In general, some coughing after a cold can sometimes persist for months. While this is not normal and does need to be seen by a doctor, it is a possibility. Furthermore, the cough can become self sustaining, meaning that the nerves are sensitized so that the cough becomes both habitual and the cough reflex has a low threshold for being stimulated. As for the sore throat in the setting of all of this, it makes sense to be seen by your doctor given that you are describing symptoms that have now spanned some longer period of time and could or could not be related. Speaking with your doctor may provide additional steps and he or she may be able to identify further concerning symptoms. Please speak with your doctor.