What would cause a very brief swelling of the duct of the submandibular gland?

I had a very brief swelling underneath my tongue. Looked it up what part of my mouth it is and it seems to be the duct to the submandibular gland underneath my tongue/below my bottom row of teeth. It happened after I snorted to clear mucus. I had a weird sensation around my inner ear and jaw on the left side when I did this and then the left part of what I think is the duct swelled up. It was soft and I could push it with my tongue, however the swelling went away after a couple of minutes. What would cause this and should I be concerned?
Sorry to hear that you are worried about some swelling underneath your tongue, and I recommend that you see an ENT (ears nose throat) physician. Your history of what happened talks about a lot of different symptoms, which I am not entirely sure are all related. You said that you snorted to clear some mucous (which I presume you were feeling in your nose and not your mouth), and you had a weird feeling in your jaw and your ear. There is something called your eustachian tube that brings air from the back of your nose to your middle ear to equilibrate the pressure behind your ear drum with atmospheric pressure. Sometimes snorting will cause some transient eustachian tube dysfunction which will feel funny in your ear (like driving through the mountains, or flying in a plane). This may explain what you were feeling in your ear/jaw. It should not however be at all related to your submandibular gland. The submandibular gland can swell from obstruction, but you would not be able to feel this with your tongue as it is deep within your neck below your jaw. Wharton's duct (the submandibular gland duct) can potentially swell from an obstruction, however it's not clear that it would have any association with nasal mucous that you were clearing. I recommend that you go see an ENT physician who will be able to examine you and answer the questions regarding your submandibular gland, and also your ear and nose. Best of luck.

• Dr. William Cohen
    Dr. William Cohen DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2501 E Chapman Ave
    Orange, CA 92869
  • Dr. Evan Ransom
    Dr. Evan Ransom MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    450 Sutter Street
    San Francisco, CA 94108
  • Dr. Liesl Nottingham
    Dr. Liesl Nottingham MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    2415 Musgrove Rd
    Silver Spring, MD 20904