ZocdocAnswersWhy do i still have burning 4 years after my chlamydia was cured?

Question

Why do i still have burning 4 years after my chlamydia was cured?

I have been retested multiple times. It burns when i pee and when i am not.

Answer

There are a couple of reasons why these symptoms do not sound like a chlamydia infection, but it's important to discuss this with your primary care physician or urologist. Generally speaking, chlamydia infections do not tend to cause burning with urination only. It does to cause cervical discharge and sometimes vaginal pain. It can cause burning with urination, but that isn't common when someone is infected. Plus if you have been retested multiple times, then it is not likely this is the problem. Burning with urination can be a sign of a urinary tract infection. I imagine that you have probably been tested for this multiple times as well. If you haven't then you should. The test you would need is a simple urinalysis. If you have had normal urinalyses, and you continued to have burning in your bladder, then you might have a condition known as interstitial cystitis. This is a type of condition which causes lower pelvic discomfort and burning without any obvious cause such as an infection. It is treated with medications that can calm down the nerves that are telling the brain that there is a problem there. This type of condition is usually treated by a primary care physician or urologist. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a urologist for further evaluation of this problem. I think that since you have had symptoms for a long time, you warrant am evaluation by a specialist.