What can and can't I do if I have my knee cartilage is torn?

The cartilage in my knee is torn and painful but I'm walking around for at least 8 hours a day as I work and then I go to karate is this going to make the tear worse??
Thank you for your interesting question. In order to determine the cause of your symptoms and potential treatment options, I would need more information. I would need to review your entire medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. I would also need to review any imaging studies you have had prior. Only after reviewing this information would it be possible to make an accurate recommendation. Therefore, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. There are many different structures in the knee that can become injured and cause pain. Based on your question, I cannot determine exactly what injury you suffered. You may have suffered a tear of the meniscus, which is a disc of cartilage providing cushioning for the joint. Treatment often consists of rest and NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen. Physical therapy can also help. In some cases, surgery is required to trim the damaged cartilage. You will need to see an orthopedic surgeon to determine if this is the cause of your symptoms. You have also have injured one of the ligaments that helps stabilize the knee, such as the ACL, MCL, or PCL. I encourage you to discuss these possibilities with an orthopedic surgeon.