ZocdocAnswersI brush my teeth 3x a day, why do I still have bad breath?

Question

I brush my teeth 3x a day, why do I still have bad breath?

there is no brocken teeth.but my mouth is very very bad smell?

Answer

Bad breath is called Halitosis and it is recommended that you discuss this with your primary care doctor. You brush your teeth three times a day which is great .Brushing your teeth is only scrubbing the external surfaces of your teeth. Halitosis is caused by bacteria breaking down food. The gases they release are what causes the bad odor that you are describing. In order to minimize the number of odor producing bacteria, you should also brush your tongue while you brush your teeth. Also, a tooth brush cannot get in between your teeth so you should also floss. On top of that, you can also use mouth wash. These are some lifestyle changes that can help with your halitosis. If you continue to have halitosis, there may be a medical condition that involves halitosis. Patients can have diverticula in their esophagus which are pockets in their esophagus (the part where food goes down). Food can collect in these regions and bacteria can grow there. Patients with this condition also have trouble swallowing food. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor who can tease apart your history a bit more and guide you if you need any further tests. You can also make an appointment to see a dentist who can further guide you in terms of oral mouth care.