Does copd make heart problems worse?

Had open heart surgery to fix artery anomally just been diagnosed with stage 1 borderline stage 2 copd also have aortic valve insufficiency.
I am sorry you are having to cope with these various medical issues. I recommend you discuss this in detail with your cardiologist, as it is difficult to make specific recommendations without knowing the full details of your medical history. In general, lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) can lead to destruction or abnormal function of the small blood vessels within your lungs. Your right ventricle, which is one of your heart's chamber, is responsible for pumping blood from your heart to your lungs so that your blood can acquire oxygen and deliver it to the rest of your body. Over time, the abnormalities of these blood vessels from COPD can essentially cause elevated blood pressure just within your lung (pulmonary hypertension). Your right ventricle must beat stronger to keep functioning, and this can lead to increased muscle mass of your right ventricle and, eventually, dysfunction in severe cases. It is important for you to discuss this possibility with your cardiologist, as not all individuals develop significant pulmonary hypertension. There are no treatments that can reverse the damage from COPD, but it is critical to prevent further lung damage. The mainstay of this is smoking cessation, as smoking is the leading cause of COPD. I encourage you to also discuss this with your cardiologist in order to determine the specific risks for pulmonary hypertension in your case.

Other Cardiologists