ZocdocAnswersAm I gluten intolerant?

Question

Am I gluten intolerant?

I cant afford testing but need to know if my symptoms mean I am gluten intolerant. I have often severe bloating after eating any amount, diarrhea, stabbing pain in my lower right quadrant of my abdomen (went to the doctor and ruled out any reproductive issues... I am a female), frequent yeast infections (4 times a year), depression and irritability especially amplified via menstrual cycle, inability to lose weight, headaches (not terribly frequent), occasional itchy scalp by nape of neck (no dandruff), crackling/static sound in my left ear with certain sounds, fatigue, waking throughout the night. So I sound like a hypochondriac but I just wanted to list tangible symptoms... I really want to know if this could be gluten intolerance but I can't afford to.go to the Dr. Thank you for your time!

Answer

The most important question to ask when it comes to whether or not you are gluten intolerant is whether some of the symptoms that you are having only come on and when you eat wheat products. Gluten is not contained in every food product, and thus if you experience these symptoms with every type of food, then gluten intolerance or gluten allergy is very unlikely. To be honest, the most likely diagnosis in your case just based on statistics and the symptoms themselves is irritable bowel syndrome. This diagnosis cannot be made without testing and thus you will have to see a doctor in order to obtain the necessary testing to rule out other conditions. Irritable bowel syndrome cannot be diagnosed without ruling out other conditions. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist. This is the type of physician that is most adept at determining whether or not you have a certain GI condition. A simple blood test can be helpful in determining whether or not you are gluten intolerant. If this is not conclusive, then an upper endoscopy with biopsies of your small bowel is necessary to determine if gluten intolerance causing the bloating and other G.I. symptoms. Good luck