ZocdocAnswersWhy do I get a lower back pinch after doing 10 mins of ab workouts?

Question

Why do I get a lower back pinch after doing 10 mins of ab workouts?

After I do floor ab workouts for about 10 minutes and I try to stand up, I get a lower back pinch (little to the right of my central spine) that makes me almost collapse to the floor. The pain is sharp, but only lasts for that one second. I sit for a minute than I am able to stand. Any ideas?

Answer

There could be several different things going on here. One possibility is that you are provoking spasm of one of the muscles in the lower back that side on either side of the spinal column. If this is the case, you should notice some localized firmness or tenderness when you touch those muscles. In most cases this is not a serious problem, but it is worth consulting with an athletic trainer or sports medicine doctor, who will confirm the diagnosis and usually recommend stretching before or modifying your exercise regimen to relieve the symptoms. Another possibility is that this is a variant of a 'side stitch' which is a common complaint among many athletes and others who engage in vigorous physical activity. The exact cause of a side stitch is not totally clear, but they can often be prevented by adequate warmup, stretching, and staying well hydrated. In any case, a trip to your primary care doctor to rule out more significant problems, such as a slipped disc or pinched nerve in your back, would be the next step. Good luck, and I hope you are able to get back to exercising normally soon!