ZocdocAnswersIs there any cause for worry if my breasts feel heavy and are pain?

Question

Is there any cause for worry if my breasts feel heavy and are pain?

I am 43, i am not pregnant, near my menstrual cycle or near menopause. I have tried heat, cold, ibuprofen and wear a bra all the time....less painful when wearing a bra. I am 38C.

Answer

There are several different things that could be going on here, and I would recommend that you get some help from your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor. A woman your age should be having regular breast examinations by a doctor. In many cases, it may also be appropriate to be getting regular mammograms as well. The main point of the breast exam and the mammogram is to detect any lump or other change in the breast tissue that might be worrisome for cancer. The breast exam can also detect several other breast tissue changes that might be associated with breast pain, such as fibrocystic breast changes. When you go to see your doctor, make sure to mention anything that makes the pain worse or better; factors like association of the pain with menstruation, medications like oral contraceptives, or caffeine consumption might be helpful in narrowing down the cause. It is also worth considering whether the breast pain is due to a poorly fitting bra, as this is also a very common problem. Making sure to have undergarments well fitted by a clothing professional can go a long way towards eliminating this problem. Call and make an appointment to discuss this issue with your doctor!