ZocdocAnswersI have been dizzy, have a severe headache and my vision is blurry. Should I go to emergency room or go to doctor?

Question

I have been dizzy, have a severe headache and my vision is blurry. Should I go to emergency room or go to doctor?

I have been dizzy and severe headache and my vision is blurry. should i see the emergency hospital or should i wait to see my doctor

Answer

Thank you for your question regarding your symptoms of dizziness, headache and blurry vision. I would encourage you to see a physician as soon as possible who can better evaluate your symptoms. It is difficult to guess what might be going on without performing a physical examination and reviewing your medical history. There are a number of possibilities. If this is the worst headache you have ever experienced and it came on suddenly within a matter of seconds (a "thunderclap" type of headache), this could be due to a serious condition caused by bleeding in your brain, known as a subarachnoid hemorrhage. It is possible you may simply be having a migraine headache, which can cause you have to have a headache in addition to symptoms such as vomiting, nausea, and sensitivity to light. Another condition that can cause sudden onset blurry vision and eye pain is known as closed angle glaucoma. This is a medical emergency and requires prompt evaluation to avoid vision loss. In this situation, medications or laser surgery may be used to lower the high pressure in the eye, the cause of glaucoma and which compromises the optic nerve. I encourage you to visit a physician as soon as possible to better determine the cause of your symptoms.