ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to cough a lot after one year of heart surgery?

Question

Is it normal to cough a lot after one year of heart surgery?

My brother made heart surgery(ASD)last one year. Now he is 25 years old .After heart surgery, he is everything fine but now he get coughing especially at night.Is it important to him and how can recover from coughing?He cannot spend money to consult physician and sp please let me know details.

Answer

I am sorry your brother is experiencing this concerning symptom after surgery. Unfortunately, it is not possible to make a definitive diagnosis or treatment recommendations without consulting a physician, and I strongly encourage him to see a primary care physician. In general, persistent cough can be caused by many different issues. I cannot tell from your question the duration of his symptoms. However, a common cause is gastroesophageal reflux disease. In this, acidic stomach contents move backward into his upper airways and can cause persistent irritation. Chronic post-nasal drip frequently causes cough. A well known side effect of many medications in the class known as ACE inhibitors can cause a chronic cough. A lung disease such as cystic fibrosis, emphysema (extremely rare at his age), or chronic bronchitis could cause a cough. He will require evaluation by a physician to determine if these conditions are causing his symptoms. Given his prior heart surgery, it will be critical to determine if he has accumulation of fluid within his lungs (pulmonary edema) or just outside his lungs (pleural effusion). Also, damage to one of the nerves within his thoracic cavity could also cause a cough. I strongly encourage him to see a physician to help determine the cause of his symptoms.