ZocdocAnswersCould a low white cell count be responsible for my headaches?

Question

Could a low white cell count be responsible for my headaches?

I have had a head ach for over a week with no letting up so my doc. Orders a full work up on my blood and a ct i take good care and eat healthy the nurse called and said wow everything looks vary good but my white cells were real low im never sick and had my yearly 2 weeks ago my blood was great then how can it change that much and me not feel sick at all other then my head hurts real bad can it be some thing other then an infection im 32 yrs old and never had my head hurt this bad. Please Help

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms, and it sounds like they are affecting your life quite a bit. I encourage you to discuss your low blood count with a hematologist. It is not possible to provide an accurate explanation for this lab finding without knowing the full details of your medical history, performing a physical exam, and looking at a sample of your blood under a microscope. White blood cells are cells in your blood that act as part of your immune system. They help target bacteria, viruses, and other sick or dying cells for destruction. Many different conditions can cause a low white cell count. In some cases, a severe bacterial infection can cause a low blood count. Viruses can often cause suppression of your bone marrow, leading to decreased production of white cells as well as other cells in your blood. A viral infection could potentially explain your headache, as well. In some cases, leukemia, which is a type of cancer of the blood cells, can cause a low white cell count. Certain medications and toxins can cause suppression of your white cells. I encourage you to raise these concerns with a hematologist. After reviewing your blood work, they can help determine the next best steps in the workup.