ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean when there's brown on the toilet paper after I pee?

Question

What does it mean when there's brown on the toilet paper after I pee?

My period ended Sunday and it was a normal period, and I was spotting a couple days afterwards. I went to pee and there's brown on the toilet paper

Answer

I recommend that you discuss this with your OBGYN. You need to make sure whether it is from your urine or vagina. If it is from your urine, there are a number of causes that can turn your urine brown. These include the type of food you eat like fava beans as well as certain medications you take. In some cases, brown urine can indicate a problem with your liver or kidneys. Some urinary tract infection can also turn your urine dark brown. On the other hand, if you have a brown vaginal discharge, it can be normal as well as not normal. A brown discharge is actually old blood. It is most often associated with old endometrial tissues. The discharge is the body's way of cleaning any old endometrial tissues that was not shed during the menstrual cycle. It can also come from ovulation bleeding or implantation bleeding, which is considered an early sign of pregnancy. However, a brown discharge can indicate something more sinister. It can be an early symptom of a sexually transmitted disease. In some cases, it can be a symptom of common serious conditions including uterine polyps, pelvic inflammatory disease and cervical cancer. If you've not had a pelvic exam and Pap smear recently, you should contact your doctor. It is important to have them done annually. If the discharge is heavy and accompanying by pain, it might be a sign of a serious problem that you should consult an OBGYN to rule out a serious condition.