ZocdocAnswersWhat's causing sharp pains on the right side of my lower chest?

Question

What's causing sharp pains on the right side of my lower chest?

I been having a sharp pain on the right side of my lower chest right behind the rib cage, and sometimes its in my lower back in the same place, I was wondering what it is ? or whats causing it?

Answer

You have sharp right sided lower chest pain. You also have some lower back pain on the right. There could be a number of causes for your symptoms so it is important that you speak with your primary care doctor. The organs in that region that could be involved are the lungs, kidneys, and colon. Chest pains are always concerning for a heart attack; however, you have atypical chest pain. People who suffer from heart attacks usually have pressure like chest pains that radiate to the left arm or jaw. Other conditions that should be ruled out is a pulmonary embolus, which is a clot in the lung. People experience sharp pains with breathing and it is associated with shortness of breath and palpitations. People at risk are women who are obese and taken estrogen replacement therapy. It is also possible there can be inflammation or infection in the lung that could be causing a right sided sharp chest pain. Your kidneys could also be infected from a urinary tract infection that could cause one sided flank pain. It is usually associated with fevers, nausea, and vomiting. Lastly, your colon is a large structure throughout your abdomen. There could be some inflammation, infection, gas, or constipation that could cause you discomfort. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have your symptoms checked out.