ZocdocAnswersAs a male, is s 464 Ferritin level considered a little high or very high?

Question

As a male, is s 464 Ferritin level considered a little high or very high?

I've recently gotten a blood test and my ferritin level was 464. The average range is supposed to be 25-200 and as as male it's normal to be higher since we don't menstruate. However my family physician keeps telling me that 464 is NORMAL. I'm seriously considering finding a new family physician if 464 is no where near normal ranges.

Answer

I recommend that you discuss your concern with your family physician. Ferritin is the major storage form of iron in the blood and can be elevated for a variety of reasons. Your ferritin level of 464 is moderately elevated above the upper limit of normal and you should talk to your family physician regarding the need for further evaluation. Since ferritin is correlated to the body's iron stores, an elevated level can signal states of excess iron. This condition, called hemochromatosis, is one of the most common hereditary disorders in the United States. Hemochromatosis can also be secondary, with excess iron resulting over time from repeated blood transfusions. Over time, excess iron can lead to damage in the liver, heart, pancreas and other organs. Ferritin is also an "acute phase reactant," meaning that its levels may be elevated in states of inflammation from any number of causes. This includes inflammation due to infection or autoimmune diseases (such as rheumatoid arthritis), among other causes. You and your family physician can have a discussion regarding the elevated ferritin level in the context of your past and current medical problems. If there is concern about hemochromatosis, then a blood sample for gene testing can be taken for further work-up. Further work-up including a thorough exam and perhaps more blood tests can be done to evaluate for any other underlying inflammatory process that can cause the elevated ferritin.