Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"I felt pressure inside my face when I bent my head down and it hurts a lot. What could it be?"

ZocdocAnswersI felt pressure inside my face when I bent my head down and it hurts a lot. What could it be?


This happened to me once before and lasted for a couple of weeks. It just began again yesterday. Whenever I move my head downward like bending down to tie my shoe I get a surge of pain inside my face its like pressure dropping behind my nose inside my teeth and upper palette and in my head. Or if I'm lying down and move to the other side it's a surge of pressure and pain. It he only thing I can think of comparing it to is like I sniffed a whole box of chlorine up my nose-that kind of pain. I went to the doctor today and he didnt think it was a sinus infection but I do. What else can it be? I also got a small neck message yesterday- could that have touched a tissue or nerve that caused this?


So sorry to hear about your complaints. While your doctor has the advantage of having examined you, some of your description does indeed sound like it could be related to a sinus infection. It is obviously hard to say for sure without additional symptoms, and so you can also clarify whether or not you are having post nasal drainage, have had sinus infections in the past, or are recovering from a cold. Any of those would make it more likely that you could have a sinus infection. There are a few things that you can do to help with your symptoms if it is indeed a sinus infection. Some of these include nasal irrigations, such as with a Neti-Pot or other similar nasal saline irrigation system. This sort of thing can help improve mucous clearance and help you heal if there is a problem. Ultimately, it is important to keep working with your doctor to determine what actually is causing your problem, as there are other things such as atypical migraines, trigeminal neuralgia and dental problems that can cause some symptoms of face pain. If you need more help, consider a referral to an ear nose and throat surgeon. Again, please speak with your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.