ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to have clear watery discharge from nose after nasal surgery?

Question

Is it normal to have clear watery discharge from nose after nasal surgery?

i am a 30 year old male , i underwent nasal surgery and after that i developed watery clear nasal discharge which increased with coughing and sneezing

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are having problems after your nasal surgery. There are a number of different things that can cause nasal discharge (even clear nasal discharge). The best thing to do is to speak with the doctor who performed your surgery. Without being able to ask you specifically what surgery you had, or other questions about what brings on the clear discharge, it will be difficult to give you any specifics to your situation. What I can tell you is that one of the potential complications from sinus surgery, or some of the different nasal surgeries (such as a septoplasty) is something called a CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak. This essentially means that the small bone that separates the roof of the sinuses, and the floor of the cranial vault (where the brain sits) as been violated, and that the clear fluid that surrounds the brain (CSF) is leaking out. This typically has a salty or metallic taste to it, and it leaks more when you lean forward, or tilt your head down. There are lots of other (less serious) causes of clear fluid draining from the nose as well such as vasomotor rhinitis. I recommend that you talk to the doctor that performed your surgery to explain what is happening, and they will be able to ask you more questions to tease out exactly what is going on. Otherwise, I would recommend going to an ENT (ears nose throat) doctor as they will be able to examine you and figure out what is going on.