ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have left shoulder pain?

Question

Why do I have left shoulder pain?

I am a 15 year old girl and I weight about 140. Very often through some days my left shoulder starts to hurt. If I was to rate the pain on a scale of ten, through the day it ranges from a 3 to a 7. This pain is on and off and sometimes it just doesn't hurt for the day. Oh, i dont do any sports or anything, im lazy. And when it hurts, i could me sitting down, standing up, walking, anything. What could this be, it is really starting to bother me?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about your pain. In order to provide an accurate diagnosis, a doctor would need to review your entire medical history and perform a thorough physical exam. You may also need to undergo additional testing, such as an x-ray or MRI. Only after collecting this information would it be possible to provide recommendations on managing your symptoms. Therefore, I recommend you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. The shoulder is a complex joint, and abnormalities of many different structures could cause your pain. You may have suffered an injury to the rotator cuff, which is a series of four muscles, including the deltoid, supraspinatus, infraspinatus, and subscapularis. These injuries often improve with physical therapy but occasionally require surgery. Damage to the labrum, or cartilage lining the joint, as well as the cartilage along the top surface of the arm bone can cause pain. This injury would be apparent on an MRI. Inflammation of the acromioclavicular joint, which connects the collarbone to the shoulder blade, can cause persistent pain. Although you do not recall any prior trauma, it is also possible you have suffered a fracture to a bone within the shoulder joint. Given the complexity of this issue, I strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon.