ZocdocAnswers In the past couple of days I have developed several random symptoms (sore throat/rash/infection), could they be related?

Question

In the past couple of days I have developed several random symptoms (sore throat/rash/infection), could they be related?

In the past couple of days I have developed several random symptoms and I am not sure if they are related? I have had a very mild sore throat for the past couple of days. Yesterday my legs started to itch really badly and I discovered a large rash on both of my lower legs (small red dots and white pimple like bumps spread across both legs). Today I have the symptoms of what I think is a vaginal yeast infection, but I don't really know. Could all of these things be related? Also, there is a stray kitten in my building that I have had some contact with, so could that have given me a disease? I'm concerned because all of these symptoms appeared at the same time.

Answer

Thanks for your question. It is always hard to say whether or not a series of seemingly unrelated symptoms are, in fact, related. So it is important to speak with your doctor. One of the things that you have alluded to, namely, the timing of when these symptoms show up, is one of the best clues that doctors have when looking for answers. When a few things show up at the same time, there is at least a chance that there could be a common cause. One possible example could be that you are allergic to cats. If you have had increased contact with a cat, and you are allergic to them, it could make your throat itch, your legs where the cat touched you have a rash, and perhaps some other symptoms as well. With regards to infections that the cat could have spread, cat-scratch disease is, as the name implies, spread from contact with felines, but that will usually have some infectious signs and symptoms such as lymph node swelling, fever, fatigue, etc. If you are having a new set of symptoms that you cannot explain, speaking with your doctor can be a good place to seek further guidance. Please speak with your doctor about this.