ZocdocAnswersCould this be nerve pain?

Question

Could this be nerve pain?

I sprained my left ankle many times. Im currently doing physical therapy for pain. I just randomly woke up with weakness and pain of my ankle and foot. There is pain coming from my outside of my leg to the back of the ankle to the tip of my last two toes. The pain is constant, weakness, numbness. I have my ankle and foot in a brace so I don't fall down my pcp told me. The pain seems not want to go away. It's been 3 weeks. I feel stronger but the pain hasn't gone away. I can't take Motrin or anything because of my bad kidneys....when might improvement start? Could it be nerve pain?

Answer

Thanks for your question. There is much that has not been said within your question, and that could be helpful to get the answer that you need. So I recommend that you speak with your doctor. First, any pain involves the nerves to some degree, as it is the nerves that carry the pain sensation to your brain, and the nerves in your brain that make you feel the sensation of pain. Next, pain that is commonly referred to as nerve pain will often be a sharp, lancing, pain that can stab or sting across an area intermittently or remain more persistent. It can be related to nerve damage, trauma, or impingement, and is something that should be addressed to limit the symptoms and prevent them from becoming more permanent. If you have kidney disease due to diabetes, a common cause, it would not be unexpected for you to have some peripheral neuropathy, or death / trauma of the distant nerves. While it may be difficult to completely treat the cause of your symptoms, there are things that can be done to help you tolerate your symptoms better. Please speak with your doctor about this question, and determine if a referral to a pain medicine doctor may be in order.