Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How do I get rid of my limp after breaking tibia?"

ZocdocAnswersHow do I get rid of my limp after breaking tibia?


I broke my tibia over two years ago and I did not have surgery for it. But now that leg isn't aligned how it is suppose to be and points out in an unnatural way. I have been told that I still walk with a small limp and I don't know what to do to walk normally again. I am very embarressed and have never had any therapy for it. Someone told me that if they aligned the bone wrong like they did, the only way to fix it is to rebreak it but I am an athlete so that is extremely inconvenient so I hope that it is not true. Also I was told by my doctor that I wouldn't need any therapy but I'm not sure about that anymore.


I'm sorry to hear that you had this accident and are still suffering from a residual limp. I would recommend meeting with an orthopedic surgeon to discuss your problem. They will be able to take a look at the bone and alignment of your leg and help confirm whether or not the limp is from a misalignment or improper healing of the bones. It is true that, in some more severe cases, misalignment or improper healing of a bone fracture can only be fixed surgically, and the orthopedic doctor will be able to give you an opinion on this in your case. Many more minor cases, however, do not require surgery and can be treated with more simple measures. For example, if the fracture resulted in a small difference in the length of your two legs, all that may be needed here is a orthotic device, or specially made shoe, to help equalize the length of your leg. After meeting with the orthopedic doctor, if they suggest that this is a good strategy to pursue, then the next step would be to meet with a podiatrist who can evaluate the leg length discrepancy and help fit you with a custom made shoe. Good luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.