ZocdocAnswersMy lower stomach has been bloated for a few weeks now, what could be wrong with me?

Question

My lower stomach has been bloated for a few weeks now, what could be wrong with me?

My lower stomach has been bloated for a few weeks now and I'm not sure what it could be from. At first I would wake up in the morning and it would go back to being flat, now when I wake up it is still bloated and feels like a hard bubble meaning I can still press on it. When I lay on my back my stomach is flat.

Answer

That is an excellent question and one that is best answered by your primary care doctor or another medical care professional who can obtain a good history and physical examination and decide upon the appropriate work up which may include imaging studies or blood tests. Depending on what is found, they may decide further diagnostic tests or therapies to treat this problem. From the limited history provided, it is impossible to know what the underlying cause of your symptoms are as your age, gender, and comorbidites are not included, so it is best to be evaluated by a doctor who can figure out the cause of this. In general, it could be related to your diet, it could be that you are pregnant if you are a female and of child bearing age, or it could be one of many other causes beyond the scope of this discussion. have you changed your diet in any way? Are you still able to keep food down, and have you had bowel movements or have been passing gas? If you have not passed gas or not have bowel movements, it is important that you seek emergency medical evaluation as soon as possible.