ZocdocAnswersI have pain on my left arm. What could be causing it?

Question

I have pain on my left arm. What could be causing it?

The pain started under my left rib cage then my left arm started aching for 2 days but the pain is now in my left shoulder and it getts worse at night also i have bad heartburn now

Answer

Thanks for your question. There are many different things that can cause your pain, but more information is certainly needed to provide an accurate answer. That is why it is important that you speak with you doctor about this concern. If you are elderly and have a history of heart disease, then I would be very concerned about these symptoms representing an unusual complication or symptom of a heart attack. These symptoms could mean that in anybody, but you see from the example that different symptoms can mean different things in different people, and so your age, past medical history, history of recent trauma, etc are all invaluable in helping your doctor arrive at the appropriate diagnosis. In many ways, your doctor has to piece together all of the information that you give him or her and come to the correct answer. This may require some time and some trial and error, but when you work together as a team you are likely to ultimately arrive at the right conclusion that will help you to feel better. Please discuss your symptoms with your doctor as well as any other symptoms that you have been having and any thoughts that you may have about your problem. Again, please speak with your doctor.