ZocdocAnswersI have been feeling pricks on the sides of my chest with a fast heart beat. Is there something wrong with me?

Question

I have been feeling pricks on the sides of my chest with a fast heart beat. Is there something wrong with me?

i have acid reflux disease, but i have been feeling pricks on the sides of my chest with a fast heart rate is this gas.

Answer

I understand why your symptoms are concerning. I strongly urge you to see a cardiologist to determine the cause of your symptoms, as it is not possible to provide an accurate diagnosis without a thorough, in-person history and physical exam. In general, your heart rate increases when your other organs require additional oxygen or nutrients. This occurs during exercise, fever, and illness. In some cases, your heart rate can increase due to an arrhythmia. Some examples include atrial fibrillation, atrial flutter, and AV nodal reentrant tachycardia. During such episodes, people often experience palpitations, lightheadedness, and chest pain, which may explain your symptoms. You may also be experiencing premature atrial or ventricular beats, which are essentially early heart beats. These are typically benign, although they can cause problems for your heart muscle if they are extremely frequent. Although your symptoms may be caused by an arrhythmia, it is important to rule out coronary artery disease, or a blockage in your heart's arteries. This may also increase your risk of arrhythmia. You will need to discuss these possibilities with your doctor. A typical evaluation consists of a history, physical, and EKG. Depending on these results, you may require an ultrasound of your heart or a stress test.