ZocdocAnswersI feel burning when urinating and I see traces of blood stall, what could it be?

Question

I feel burning when urinating and I see traces of blood stall, what could it be?

Hi there Basically this evening I've had the sudden urge to go to the toilet a lot and when I do I get a burning feeling just on the tip of my penis and the colour is like a red\orange colour, there is even stands of blood I have a partner and we are both sexually active without protection, we both have only had one other sexual partner. I had unprotected sex with my previous girlfriend for years, I went a full year without sex and have had no symptoms like this. Me and my girlfriend Have been together for 5 months now. I have a sudden urge to urinate but not a lot comes out

Answer

It sounds to me like you may have a urinary tract infection. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for further testing. This kind of thing is quite a bit more common in women, but does happen in men on occasion. A urinary tract infection occurs when bacteria from the outside of the body work their way up the urethra into the bladder and grow causing infection. The symptoms of a urinary tract infection include burning with urination, pelvic pain, fever, urinary urgency, and sometimes back pain. It is not uncommon for people to also report blood in the urine as well. Thus, it seems that you have multiple symptoms of this problem. It is not likely if this is a simple urinary tract infection that you got this due to sexual activity. It is possible that this is due to a sexy transmitted infection, but there's no way to tell without testing. Again, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for further testing. Your doctor will want to perform a urinalysis. If this is positive for infection he will get antibiotics and probably get better. If you urinalysis is normal, then you should be tested for sexual transmitted diseases. Specifically should be tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia which can cause burning with urination. While in the office, you could also receive treatment for these two infections which involve one time dosages of antibiotics.