ZocdocAnswersI cant sleep if any of my body part are touching. Is that part of a disorder?

Question

I cant sleep if any of my body part are touching. Is that part of a disorder?

I also can't drink out of the same spot on a glass , cant walk behind someone because I dont want to breath their scent, breath, etc . The list goes on and on.

Answer

That is a great question, and one that would best be answered by your primary care doctor or other medical professional. The issues you are describing could potentially be part of a disorder known as obsessive compulsive disorder, or OCD. People with this disorder often feel that they have to do something in a compulsive way, and this causes a negative effect on their way of life. People with this compulsion may feel that they have to switch on and off the light a certain number of times per day or not step on cracks in the floor for fear of something bad happening. There are also varying levels that are not as pronounced, and it usually has to do with to what extent they are negatively effecting your life. If you do have OCD, it is a difficult disease to treat, but there are medications and options available to help you. You should discuss the issues you have been having with your primary care doctor as he or she will be able to tell if this is OCD or something similar but not as pronounced.