Why do I get muscles cramps when I exercise and how do I prevent them?

I get muscles cramps in my abdomen mostly- right under my rib cage and on my right side.
That is an excellent question and one that should be discussed with your primary care doctor or other medical professional who can help you with these symptoms of muscle cramping that you have noted. In general, there are a few causes of muscle cramps. One very common one is that you are not conditioned enough to be exerting yourself the way that you are, and the best way to get rid of this is to slowly improve your exercise routine and your health so that you do not experience these cramps. Another common reason is that you may have a deficiency of a vitamin or mineral which causes your muscles to cramp when they are working at full capacity. Some common deficiencies include potassium and magnesium. Finally, another major cause is dehydration. If you do not stay well hydrated during your work outs, it is not uncommon to have cramping that can be very painful and severe. Drinking enough water that your urine is almost clear helps to ensure that you are well hydrated. Regardless, it is important that you are evaluated by your medical care provider who will best be able to figure out the cause of your cramping and help you improve your symptoms.

Other Rheumatologists