ZocdocAnswersIf your placenta is lying on your cervix is that always called Placenta previa?

Question

If your placenta is lying on your cervix is that always called Placenta previa?

I was pregnant with twins and my doctor told me my placenta was lying on my cervix. I had heavy bleeding that lead to me delivering my children to early. I went in labor and I lost a lot of blood and I was wondering if there was negligence on her part.

Answer

When part of the placenta lies over the opening of the cervix, this is called placenta previa. It sounds like this is what you had. Unfortunately, this is a problem occurs a lot more often in twin pregnancies than in singleton pregnancies. Your obstetrician was probably looking out for this with more diligence in you because you were having twins then he or she would if you were just having a single pregnancy. If placenta previa is caught really early in pregnancy, it may be watched especially if the pregnancy is too early to be delivered by C-section. This is because it is not always a problem that term, even if it is caught early because sometimes the placenta shifts over time during the pregnancy. However, if you are term when it is caught, most physicians will then deliver by C-section as a vaginal delivery would not be possible with placenta previa. It sounds like you had a complication from this problem, as vaginal bleeding close to delivery is the usual complication that occurs. I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN the next time you get pregnant so that the two of you can discuss how to prevent this complication from occurring in the future.