Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My grandmother is having some strange symptoms, what could they be?"

ZocdocAnswersMy grandmother is having some strange symptoms, what could they be?


My grandma has the following symptoms please let me know if you have a possible reason for these...... she is having pain in her right shoulder and armpit area her arm and fingers are swollen with numbness in her fingertips she also has some kind of pimple looking things on that arm with some kind of liquid inside she says this has happened for a while now but now the pain is so bad she cannot eat or sleep right... please help mind you this is only happening in one arm


Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to provide a diagnosis without more information. I would need to review your grandmother's entire medical history and also perform a thorough physical exam. In addition, she may need other testing, such as an imaging study. It is not possible to provide a diagnosis without these steps. Therefore, I encourage you to schedule an appointment with a primary care doctor. The shoulder joint is a complex joint with many structures that can cause pain when injured. She may have injured her rotator cuff, which is a series of four muscles that control the joint. Treatment consists of rest, analgesics, physical therapy, and/or surgery. She may have injured the labrum, or piece of cartilage that cushions the joint. Biceps tendonitis can also cause severe shoulder pain. I encourage you to discuss these possibilities with a primary care doctor. Her finger swelling could be due to a blood clot in the arm, psoriatic arthritis, or a tumor inhibiting lymphatic drainage from the arm. She will need to be evaluated by a primary care doctor for this. The pimple-like structure could be an abscess, which can turn into a life threatening infection. I encourage her to see a primary care doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.