ZocdocAnswersDo I have a concussion?

Question

Do I have a concussion?

Yesterday afternoon I banged my head really hard against a wall accidentally. At first my head hurt from the hit but then the pain disappeared. All of today though my head has hurt on the opposite side (not the side I hit it on), my neck has hurt, I've felt nauseous and woozy, I've had a hard time concentrating and I've felt confused. Do I have a concussion? And also is it safe for me to sleep tonight, I slept last night but I don't actually remember being woken up by my mum even though she says she woke me up.

Answer

Thank you for this question and I recommend that you speak with your doctor as soon as possible. The diagnosis of a concussion depends on a number of different factors, but there is always a concern for a concussion if you have a change in the way that you think or respond. Additionally, there is a concern for a concussion with any significant head trauma, as these can cause all kinds of problems both immediate and delayed for the people who have them. It is therefore important that you discuss this question with your doctor to make sure that you get the help that you need. As we are all aware, there has been a recent jump in the amount of evidence that repeated head trauma can lead to long term mental problems and even early death. For that reason, it is vital that you take the necessary precautions to ensure that you are well. Speaking with the office of your doctor will allow him or her the chance to determine what steps you should take next, and if it is safe for you to follow up as an out patient or if you need to go directly to the emergency room. Please speak with your doctor about this question.