How do I treat my toenail?

About 6 months ago i dropped a waterheating unit on my toe and it immediately turned black. It is now growing and is lifting up towards the back. What can i do?
This is a good question. It is very important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have a full history and physical. I am assuming by your question that you are referring to your toenail and not your entire toe. It is not uncommon after trauma to a nail for it to be discolored, and in many cases, will eventually fall off. Your doctor may decide to remove the toenail with a simple outpatient surgery, or refer you to a podiatrist to have this done. If the toenail is coming up on its own it is often better to have it removed prophylactically rather than risk it being ripped or torn off accidentally if it were to get caught on something. If there is any redness, swelling, or pus under or around your nail then you may have an infection and need to seek care and get antibiotics. If your toe itself is painful or swollen, then it is possible that you have a fracture and may need an x-ray. Again, it is important for you to seek care for your injured toe so that you can get a correct diagnosis and obtain appropriate treatment.

Other Podiatrists

• Dr. Sean Ravaei
    Dr. Sean Ravaei DPM
    Podiatrist
    8929 Wilshire Blvd.
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211
  • Dr. John Mozena
    Dr. John Mozena DPM, FACFAS
    Podiatrist
    8305 SE Monterey Ave
    Portland, OR 97086
  • Dr. Paul Jones
    Dr. Paul Jones DPM
    Podiatrist
    8305 SE Monterey Ave
    Portland, OR 97086