ZocdocAnswersI get pain on the back of my head on both sides when I laugh. What could it be?

Question

I get pain on the back of my head on both sides when I laugh. What could it be?

I'm a 25 year old male. 6'2" average build ex smoker about 3 years now. I chew pouches though.

Answer

Hard to say exactly what this pain could be, but there are a few ideas that we can suggest for starters. Ultimately, you will need to speak with your doctor about this question, however. The most concerning thing would be some sort of aneurysm or serious problem within your brain. This sort of thing is quite uncommon, but the increased pressure of the blood in your skull when you laugh could be triggering this sort of pain. Other common problems include obstructions in your sinuses that can lead to a sensation of increased pressure with different head movements. Many other conditions can involve the blood vessels or muscles of your head and neck, and some of these things may never be able to be fully determined. Speaking with your doctor about your concerns is appropriate as he or she can help to determine what in your story is most concerning, and what needs further treatment or at least investigation. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.