ZocdocAnswersI am 17 and I am feeling strange burning feelings when I urinate. What could be wrong with me?

Question

I am 17 and I am feeling strange burning feelings when I urinate. What could be wrong with me?

there is a slight red patch over my japs eye it feels itchy inside the penis. I have not had any unsafe sex ever, nor have I had sex in a week and a half, the pain started about 3 days ago?

Answer

It sounds to me like you may have a urinary tract infection and I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician for further testing. Urinary tract infections are quite a bit more common in women but they do happen on occasion in men. These kinds of infections occur when bacteria from the outside of the body work their way into the penis and get up inside the urethra and begin to grow inside the bladder. Typical symptoms include burning with urination, pelvic pain, fever, and sometimes flank pain. For this problem, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she will want to perform a urinalysis which can tell the doctor in the office whether or not you have an infection. If you do, then you will get a short course of antibiotics. It is not likely that this is due to a sexually transmitted infection since you have never had unprotected sex. However, your doctor may still test you for that because it is often a part of their practice to do so. If you do have your tract infection and you get better that's great. However if you get a second urinary tract infection this should warrant you seeing a urologist for further assessment. This is because getting a urinary tract infection is unusual enough for a man and if it happens twice you should be evaluated for other problems that might be going on.