ZocdocAnswersWhat could be causing my leg twitching?

Question

What could be causing my leg twitching?

had a TIA like episode which was later classified as a complex migraine as my EEG and chest xray were good. I am a 25 year old female I followed up with my primar doctor as advised by the ER I had blood work done as well as. CT and MRI. my leg issue started about three days after my TIA like episode. It started as my legs just feeling odd.almost like they were swelling but werent. I also had burning in my knees and ankles that just last a few seconds. buttock is sore when I sit or stand still for a period of time. The twitching started about three weeks ago. If I move, walk or stand they do not twitch and is worse when I have to dangle my legs when sitting in a chair. Calves twitch the most however I also get them in my thigh right below my buttock. no cramping in my feet. Rarely I get a twitch in my lower back. No discoloration, No weakness, No swelling and no warm patches.

Answer

If you are concerned about twitching in your legs, I recommend that you seek formal evaluation by a neurologist or other professional healthcare provider to further workup your symptoms and provide treatment, if necessary. Muscle twitching can have multiple causes, some benign and others more severe. In resting muscles, benign twitching is often the result of fasciculations, which are high frequency intermittent contractions of muscle that can have multiple sources. A subset of the population will have benign fascinations at baseline. This condition does not generally interfere with activities of daily living. However, people may also develop fasciculations due to lack of sleep, overuse or muscle fatigue, stress, or chemicals such as caffeine or stimulants like nicotine or decongestants. If you are experiencing fasciculations, which people often describe as twitching of resting muscle, simple remedies include eating a regular diet, staying hydrated, getting adequate rest and limiting stress and stimulants like caffeine. In rare instances, fasciculations are symptomatic of more sinister causes such as neurodegenerative conditions of the motor neurons. This may include amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, spinal muscular atrophy, spinal cord injury and peripheral nerve injury (either trauma or inflammation). Multiple sclerosis may also result in focal fasciculations. Therefore, it is important that you have a formal neurological evaluation to rule out sinister etiologies.