When your tested for a UTI can they find out or search for HIV ?

I was tested positive for uti and they took a swab of my saliva around my throat ( it came out a normal) I just wanted to know do I have to get separate test for hiv or do they already check for it when you get uti test
Unless there is a specific reason, most physicians do not check for HIV when they are looking for signs of a UTI while doing a urinalysis. For one, you cannot test for HIV using a urine sample or a swab of your saliva. Instead, testing for HIV requires a blood test. A small sample of your blood is taken and the laboratory searches for antibodies which were made to the virus. If these are found, then they do another test called a Western blot and a PCR test to determine if you really are infected with the virus. The Centers for Disease Control say that everybody should get tested for HIV at least once in their life regardless of risk factors. Thus, I would suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can discuss your risk factors for HIV and whether or not this is the right time to be tested. Certainly if you have never used IV drugs or participated in high-risk sexual activity, then you might hold off on getting tested right now. However, if there is a specific reason why you are worried because of a high risk sexual encounter or IV drug abuse, then this may be a good time for you to be tested for HIV.

• Dr. Gladys Martinez
    Dr. Gladys Martinez DO
    1001 NW 13th Street
    Boca Raton, FL 33486
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723