ZocdocAnswersWhite, creamy and grainy texture cervical mucus - could this be a sign of pregnancy?

Question

White, creamy and grainy texture cervical mucus - could this be a sign of pregnancy?

I believe that I am about 6 dpo and I am experiencing whtie, creamy with a grainy texture cervical mucus. Could this be a sign of pregnancy. Also what should cervical mucus look like post ovulation?

Answer

I recommend that you discuss this concern with an OB/GYN. The way that you were describing your cervical mucus is similar to the way women describe the mucus after ovulation. In general, cervical mucus tends to be thick and stringy prior to ovulation. This thick stringy mucus is designed to allow sperm to enter the cervix and thrive while racing toward the ovum. This is the cervical mucus that women tend to check for when they are attempting to get pregnant. This is the only cervical mucus that is designed to achieve pregnancy. After ovulation the cervical mucus tends to thin out and become more white. This is the time when sperm are unable to enter the cervix and pregnancy is more difficult to achieve. Therefore, by watching the changes in your cervical mucus, you're watching the time when you are fertile switch to the time that you are infertile. Thus, watching a cervical mucus can be used as a birth control method by those that cannot take or unwilling to take more effective forms of birth. However, it cannot be used to determine when you are fertile as after the change in the mucus texture, you are usually unable to become pregnant until after your next menstrual period. To discuss this issue further I suggested she schedule and schedule an appointment with your OB/GYN.