Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What is wrong with my back?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is wrong with my back?


I have pain all across my lower back on or above my pelvis. It's been hurting every since I've landed wrong in my backhandspring for cheer. That was two years ago. It aches all the time and ibuprofen doesn't help.


I recommend that you speak with your primary care doctor who can examine you. Low back pain can be a very frustrating problem to have. In most cases, low back pain is due to muscle spasms of the paraspinal and other low back muscles. Sometimes a small amount of arthritis in between the vertebrae can result in nerve irritation and muscle spasm in the low back. If not properly treated, then the spasm can progress into a dull ache that can last for a long time. Most physicians recommend a full course of physical therapy and core muscle exercise as the first means of treating low back pain. In most cases, if the patient is dedicated to the core muscle exercises, this will be only intervention needed to improve the low back pain. Sometimes the addition of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can also be helpful. If the back pain continues despite these interventions, or if the back pain progresses into leg pain, then most doctors will order an MRI of the lumbar spine. If an abnormality such a spinal stenosis is found in the lumbar spine, then the patient usually needs to see a neurosurgeon. In your case, I don't think that it would get that far given the fact that I assume that you're young and are unlikely to have these kinds of problems in your spine. The best doctor for you to see for this kind of problem is your primary care doctor who can examine you carefully and provide you with the correct referral to physical therapy if appropriate.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.