ZocdocAnswersCan I take Cymbalta for fibromyalgia if I am already taking Lexapro?

Question

Can I take Cymbalta for fibromyalgia if I am already taking Lexapro?

My doctor just prescribed Cymbalta for fibromyalgia but I am taking Leaxpro and have been for several years.

Answer

It is important to schedule an appointment with a primary care physician to discuss this concern. Lexapro and Cymbalta are medications that can be used for depression and anxiety and depression and pain respectively. While they have similar mechanism of action, they also have some key differences. However, there are some theoretical risks to using them together. The most feared risk to using these two medications together would be the development of serotonin syndrome. This is a potentially fatal syndrome that can occur as a side effect to using one of the antidepressants such as Lexapro and is enhanced if you use another medication similar to it. I have encountered situations similar to yours and what I usually try to do is transition patients from one medication to another. Cymbalta is a fairly good medication for depression and thus it is possible that you would benefit from it and not need Lexapro anymore if you were to start on Cymbalta. Cymbalta is also good for the pain associated with fibromyalgia. Again, to further discuss this issue, I would suggest you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. In addition to discussing whether Cymbalta can be taken with Lexapro or if you should be transitioned to Cymbalta, you can discuss the other common treatments for fibromyalgia and if any of these other treatments are right for you.