ZocdocAnswersWhat are the effects of untreated deviated septum?

Question

What are the effects of untreated deviated septum?

i have deviated nasal septum,is there any harm effect of it if live untreated

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have a deviated septum, and that you are wondering if there are any ill effects of not having it fixed. I recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. As I am sure you are aware, the septum is a structural support that goes down the middle of your nose and separates right from left. The anterior third is cartilage, and the posterior two thirds or so are bone. A deviated septum means that the septum is crooked instead of straight (typically this pertains to the anterior cartilage part). With very severe deviated septums, there can be obstruction of the airflow on the side that the septum deviates towards. This is a 'fixed', or rigid, obstruction, so without managing it surgically, it will not resolve. With a bad dorsal deviation (dorsal referring the the 'bridge of the nose') there can be an external deformity (like a crooked or slanted nose). If the caudal aspect of the septum (the part by the nostrils) is badly deviated, it will not only cause obstruction to the airflow, but you can also loose tip support to the nose (which can affect both function and cosmesis). Again, I recommend that you make an appointment with an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician. They can examine you and help determine if your deviated septum is worth getting fixed. Best of luck.