Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Am I having a kidney problem, stomach ulcer or something else?"

ZocdocAnswersAm I having a kidney problem, stomach ulcer or something else?


I had this severe pain on my lower left front of my body.This thing only occurred once and after that, I had some funny feelings in that area.I don't know what has gone wrong...Is it chronic or something?


I recommend that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor. You mentioned that you have left lower abdominal pain. You said it only occurred once so it doesn't sound like a chronic condition but it is hard to tell at this point. The organs that could be involved in your symptoms that are of concern are your colon, ovaries if you are a woman, and urinary tract. Conditions that involve the colon in that region are diverticulitis and diverticulosis. Diverticulitis is a infectious process that involves outpouching of parts of the colon. It is usually associated with pain in the left lower quadrant. Diverticulosis also involves an outpouching of the colon; however, it is not infectious. It is usually painless but causes bleeding that can be seen coming from your rectum. If you are a woman, conditions such as ovarian cyst, ovarian torsion, and pregnancy should be ruled out. A cyst is a fluid filled lesion on the ovary. It can burst which can worsen the pain. Ovarian torsion is when the ovary twists upon itself causing a lack of blood supply to the ovary, which can cause pain. Pregnancy should always be of concern if you are sexually active and have abdominal pain. Lastly, a urinary tract infection can also cause your symptoms. It can start from the tip of your urethra to your kidneys. It is associated with pain on urination and increased urinary frequency. Again, you should make an appointment with your primary care doctor who can examine you and perform simple tests such as a urinalysis.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.