ZocdocAnswersKicked really hard on the inner part of my shin a month ago, and there is still a soft lump there. What should I do?

Question

Kicked really hard on the inner part of my shin a month ago, and there is still a soft lump there. What should I do?

I have now noticed a small mass that moves around freely inside the lump.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you were kicked really hard in the shin a month ago and that you still have a soft lump present. I am happy to give you some information about soft tissue and bone traumatic injury, but ultimately I am going to recommend that you make an appointment to be evaluated by a physician. They will be able to take a history (which is important and can help them better figure out what is going on, and whether there are any concerning medical conditions) and examine you thoroughly. This will let them give you a more accurate answer as to what is actually going on. A general practitioner is a good place to start, but you may choose to be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon as well. Bad soft tissue trauma can cause a small hemorrhage in the tissues resulting in a collection of blood. This alone can take quite a long time to be reabsorbed by the body. Occasionally there are calcifications within the blood clot which can make it take even longer for the clot to go away. With superficial bones, it is possible to get a bruise right next to the bone, or even subperiosteally (below the lining of the bone). These can be present for many months and are usually resolve on their own without any intervention. Of course it is also possible that you have a small fracture in your tibia (shin bone), which is why it is worth getting checked out by a physician.