ZocdocAnswersI am 45 years old male suffering from severe sneezing, what can I do?

Question

I am 45 years old male suffering from severe sneezing, what can I do?

I am suffering from acute sneezing and followed by running nose during early morning.

Answer

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear about your frustrating symptoms. I would recommend that you meet with your primary care physician for further evaluation and management, but here are some general thoughts. The symptoms you are describing are most consistent with something called "rhinitis," which refers to inflammation of the mucosa in the nose. The most common cause is allergic rhinitis, which can be caused by outdoor allergens (usually seasonal such as trees, grass, and pollen) or indoor allergens (such as dust mites, cockroaches, and fur) and results in nasal stuffiness, itching, and prominent sneezing. Non-allergic rhinitis is also possible, although stuffiness is the predominant symptom and sneezing is less common. Finally, there are other less common causes of rhinitis (occupational exposures, medication-induced, manifestations of systemic disease) that can be worked up in the right clinical context. If your symptoms are being caused by allergic rhinitis, which I suspect they are, you would probably benefit from steroid nasal sprays or antihistamine medications. These help to limit the immune response to allergens and therefore minimize symptoms. Of course, you should meet with your primary care physician to discuss your symptoms further and determine if this course of action would be best for you. I hope that this was helpful!