ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to have sex or masturbate if you have a fungal disease?

Question

Is it safe to have sex or masturbate if you have a fungal disease?

I have a rash on the penis, my doctor told me that it is a fungal disease. At that allowed sex or masturbation?

Answer

I recommend that you speak with your primary care doctor. Fungal disease, unlike other infections of the genital tract, tend not to be sexually transmitted. These occur due to warm/sweaty areas of the groin are perfect ground for fungal growth. Fungal infections are more common in the hot summer months. Changes on skin flora due to any cause can lead to overgrowth of fungi such as candida species. However, these can cause open areas in the skin and increase the risk of other sexually transmitted diseases. These includes HIV, HPV, bacterial infections and so fourth. Thus, it is very important to use condoms if sexual intercourse is to occur while any open area is present in the genital area of both man and woman, even if these are not infectious (such as tares due to trauma and so fourth). In addition, given the inflammation that it causes, opening areas of the skin can be very irritated and made worse by either masturbation or sexual intercourse, as these tend to involve some friction of the area. Thus, it is recommended to wait until these resolves before performing either of these activities. As usual, if any questions arise in regards to how these lesions are healing, you should contact your primary care doctor for further guidance.