ZocdocAnswersWhy does my hip keep popping?

Question

Why does my hip keep popping?

I am a 23 year old male, 5' 6'' 160 and am in very good shape. Yesterday, I was walking extremely fast and after, my hip began to hurt. When I walk, I can hear it popping and it hurts pretty bad. What's wrong with my hip and is there anything I can do other than see a doctor?

Answer

This is a good question. It is important that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have a full history and physical and make sure that there is nothing serious wrong with your hip. The hip is a ball and socket joint and is the largest joint in the body. From what you are describing it sounds like you likely strained a muscle surrounding your hip joint. It is also possible that you have tendonitis, which is inflammation of the thick bands of tissue that attach bones to muscle. This can lead to irritation, pain and popping of the hip. It is also possible that you are suffering from bursitis, which is irritation of the fluid filled sac that protects the hip joint. Although rare, there are more serious causes of hip pain such as a tumor in the bone, so it is very important that you make an appointment with your doctor to discuss your symptoms and get an appropriate diagnosis and treatment, Depending on what your doctor discovers during your visit, he or she may order imaging such as an x-ray. In the meantime, apply ice to your hip and rest. You can try taking an over the counter pain reliever if you don't have any contraindications, so please speak with your doctor first.