search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why is the left side of my stomach hurting?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy is the left side of my stomach hurting?

Question

My left side of my stomach been hurting and the pain travels to my lower back

Answer

You have pain on the left side of your stomach and it radiates to your lower back. The location of the pain could involve the gastrointestinal tract or the pulmonary system or the reproductive system if you are a woman. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor. Abdominal pain could be caused by peptic ulcer disease. Peptic ulcers are caused by medications such as ibuprofen, bacteria such as H. Pylori, and substances such as excessive coffee and alcohol use. If the ulcer worsens, it can lead to a perforation which could cause severe abdominal pains. Another possibility is involvement of the lungs. The pain you described could also be an inflammatory or infectious process in the lungs which is causing you to have one sided pain. The possibilities are pneumothorax, pleural effusions, or pneumonia. These conditions may be associated with shortness of breath and pain when you take a deep breath. If you are a woman, your ovaries could also be causing the pain you described. The possible conditions are ovarian cyst or torsion which can cause the pain you described. You should make an appointment with your primary care doctor to have a thorough history and clinical exam to see what further tests are needed to guide a treatment plan.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances