ZocdocAnswersCan green crayon going up a rectum cause green stool?

Question

Can green crayon going up a rectum cause green stool?

If a green crayon went up my childs rectum could that be the cause of green stool?

Answer

If this happened to your child, I would recommend going to see your pediatrician as soon as possible. Crayons are made from wax, so they are generally not dissolvable in water. Therefore, if swallowed or otherwise inserted into the body, they don't tend to break down in this way. Rather, they are more likely to crumble into small pieces and pass back out of the body, still intact. Therefore, I think it is unlikely that green stool would be from a dissolving green crayon. It is more likely to be from variations in the child's diet or from an intestinal infection. Again, please speak with your pediatrician as soon as possible. They will be able to examine your child for any signs of pain or for trauma from the insertion of the object. If there is any evidence of trauma, the child may need to be evaluated more thoroughly. Sometimes small children will insert objects into their anus as part of normal exploration of their body. In this setting, trauma is unlikely and there is not usually any need for further workup. Your pediatrician will be able to examine your child carefully however and, in addition to sorting out this issue, also help you figure out if there is another cause for the green stool.