ZocdocAnswersI feel fatigue, tender breasts - what's wrong?

Question

I feel fatigue, tender breasts - what's wrong?

I am 28 yrs old. LMP 9/6/13, (-) preg test & HCG. Normal Thyroid,CMP,FS,FSH,CBC,A1C.

Answer

Thanks for your question, and sorry to hear about your problem. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. Obviously, pregnancy is the first thing that your doctor will think about when you mention your age and the fact that you are late with your menstrual cycle, feeling more tired than usual, and also have tender breasts. Any of these can be signs of pregnancy, and this is especially likely in women of reproductive age such as yourself. Pregnancy tests can be very accurate, but they can be imperfect, especially if taken too early. For this reason, your doctor will usually use a more sensitive test than just a urine hCG, and this will often require a blood draw and take slightly longer to get the results back from the test. Beyond pregnancy, there are many things that can cause the symptoms you are describing. One of the most common explanations would be the fact that you are approaching your normal menstrual period, as these changes can be a part of the normal menstrual cycle, to a lesser degree than pregnancy most of the time. Other changes in your medications, stress level, overall health, etc can all affect your menstrual cycle and cause some of these changes. Again, please speak with your doctor.