ZocdocAnswersAny ideas why I feel pain in throat, side of neck, and chest?

Question

Any ideas why I feel pain in throat, side of neck, and chest?

I had a tickle in my throat that wouldn't go away and I ended up coughing pretty hard. Just after my the left side of my neck was sore, my chest hurt when I breathed, and it hurt to swallow. Any ideas?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have a pain in your throat, neck and chest that came about after a coughing jag, and that you are worried about what might be going on. I may not be able to give you the best, or most accurate answer to your question since I am not able to ask you more questions (i.e. take a history) or examine you, but I can give you some of my initial thoughts, and point you in the right direction. It is possible that the coughing you experienced was the onset of an upper respiratory tract infection (URI). This can cause a sore throat, cough, bronchiolitis (and pain with coughing). However from the little info that you gave, it sounds like the pain came on rather abruptly after a coughing spell without any predisposing symptoms. There are many different things that can cause that sensation of a 'tickle in your throat' that you describe. For instance, laryngopharyngeal reflux (reflux that comes from your stomach and irritates your larynx) can cause a globus sensation (like there is something stuck in your throat) and this reflux can also cause a sore throat and potentially chest pain. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) physician should be able to examine you and take more of a history to see if this is in fact what is going on.