ZocdocAnswersWhy does the tip of my tongue hurt?

Question

Why does the tip of my tongue hurt?

The tip of my tongue hurts to the touch and it burns when I drink anything, even water! I think I can see white dots if I look closely but I'm not sure. I thought I'd burnt my tongue at first but this has gone on for too long. Any suggestions?

Answer

Thanks for your question. I recommend that you speak with your doctor. While it is hard to say what could be the explanation for this persistent symptom, there are a couple of possible answers. While it is somewhat uncommon, there is a condition known as burning tongue syndrome in which people will have minor burning and tingling with almost any foods or drinks. Others will have symptoms only with certain things, such as water. In addition, taste disturbances are not uncommon with this syndrome. It can stem from a number of different things, including fungal infections (such as thrush) and also some vitamin and mineral deficiencies, but there is an unfortunate number of patients who continue to have symptoms from this condition for a prolonged period of time. Fortunately, there are usually not significant additional side effects for most people, and they are usually something that people will adapt to over time. While burning tongue syndrome is one possible explanation, it is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning that you will need to work with your doctor first to make sure that there is not another explanation or something that requires medical treatment. Worst case explanations include tumors and infections that require more treatment. Again, please speak with your doctor about this question.